A woman tried to kill bed bugs with alcohol — and set a fire that left 10 without a home
...Three people were hospitalized and several others lost their homes after a woman accidentally started a fire inside a multifamily building while trying to kill bed bugs with alcohol, authorities said.
...One of those displaced was Kamaron Lyshe, who rushed home after learning that his building was on fire. For the next hour, Lyshe shared what was happening through a Facebook Live video, which showed a massive fire billowing out of the building’s roof.
...The fire broke out late Friday in Cincinnati’s Avondale neighborhood, just north of downtown. Randy Freel, district chief of the Cincinnati Fire Department, did not respond to an inquiry from The Washington Post on Sunday, but he told reporters the fire started in the first-floor unit, where the woman lives. The alcohol she was using ignited near an open flame, which was probably a candle or burning incense.
...A 2015 survey by the National Pest Management Association and the University of Kentucky found bed bug infestations continue at high rates in the United States, with nearly all of the respondents saying they had been treated for bed bugs in the past year. Infestations happened most often in nursing homes, office buildings, schools and day-care centers, according to the survey.